Digital Photography

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Organizing Digital Images

My pictures all have file names like:

1956 - 2 - 17 - 1
1998 - 11 - 2 - 10
2001 - 3 - 4 - 005
2006 - 4 - 15 - 001
year - month - day - individual #

I use the XP Scanner and Camera Wizzard which does most of this for me.
I then burn to CD or DVD

When I want pictures I pop in the CD and skim through the thumnails to find what I want to work on - drag the images to a project folder - pop out the CD. When I have PS'd a project then burn a project CD. I only have projects I'm working on on the computer. And multiple CD's of all my originals.

Harddrives live give or take 5 years. Internal and external. Auto backups - when your HD crashes is when you find out if it is still working. I think Lisa Bearnson was the one that lost a couple years worth of photos that way.

I went through the computer died - have I lost everything - a couple times before I arrived at this method.

The organizers are nice - but are they changing your file extensions?? - Will you be able to upgrade to a new software and organizer with your present system? Will your system work when we move on from XP or to the next generation of MAC?? That's why I'm staying with simple short file names and jpg extensions for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home